The Office of Institutional Equity works with the JHU community to ensure that practices across the university are consistent with federal and state mandates, as well as existing university policies regarding equal access, employment and educational opportunity for all students, staff and faculty, without regard to gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic.
An essential role of the Office of Institutional Equity is ensuring compliance with federal laws as well as university policy. While these guidelines are referenced throughout the OIE site, they are also included below for easy reference.
Relevant JHU Policies, Codes, Statements and Principles
Johns Hopkins University enforces fair and equal treatment of the entire university community through strict adherence to internal policies, codes, statements and principles.
- Accessibility at Johns Hopkins University
- Discrimination and Harassment Policy and Procedures
- Equal Opportunity Statement
- Equal Opportunity and Title IX Notice for Students, Faculty, Staff and Applicants
- Grievance Procedures for Students with Disabilities
- Human Resources Policy Manual
- Service and Assistance Animal Policy
- Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures
- Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom
- Statement on Diversity & Inclusion
- Student Conduct Code
- Student Disability Services – Confidentiality
- University Statement on Supporting Chosen Names
Federal, State and Local Laws
A primary role of the Office of Institutional Equity is to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws regarding equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion: